Bordertown is the only real city in the Middlelands and it separates the Middlelands from the Northlands, also known as the Glacierlands. Bordertown is a walled city shaped like a skewed circle, with a bulge at the Northeastern edge, where the Garrison becomes part of the wall.
At the City Center, which unites all seven boroughs, the river runs through a park surrounding the Citadel which is mostly used for council meetings and houses government offices. In peace times, representatives from all seven boroughs gather at the Citadel to form committees and vote on civic affairs.
Surrounding the Citadel are protected park like grounds with fountains, statues, topiary and flower gardens through which the Sanguine River runs South from the Northland Glacier and flows out through the aqueduct at the Southern Gate to join the mighty River Runne which thunders south past Banebridge to Middlemarch, home of the World’s Fair.
- Butcher’s Block–the stockyards, houses the Western Gate.
- Merchant’s Row–above and next to that, where Potluck Yarn is.
- Artisan’s Hand–the arts and crafts district, next to Merchant’s Row.
- The Garrison–houses the Northern Gate, where the army is stationed, a fortified castle built right into the wall, most northern borough.
- Winter Watch–just south of that, a self-sufficient borough whose function is to supply the Garrison.
- River Walk–the borough along the river, houses the southern gate, the aqueducts and where anything comes in by boat.
- Close Quarters–between River Walk and Butcher’s Block, where the working class people live.